Thursday, September 6, 2012

A $7 Spinning Wheel You Can Make - DIY

I just received my Fall 2012 issue of Spin Off magazine. Something on the cover really caught my eye! I just started spinning on a drop spindle back in February when I met a group of ladies, the Serendipity Spinners, at Stitches West. Since then I've been admiring spinning wheels. Well, there's an article in my magazine titled "A $7 Spinning Wheel". This wheel is called the DODEC because of the Dodecagonal (12 sided Polygon) wheel that makes it’s construction approachable by people not familiar with wood working. It's made by Porterthreads.com and is for beginning spinners to build and use as an alternative to other expensive wheels. What an ingenious invention!



Bishopofknit, as he is known on Ravelry, along with his wife raise Jacob sheep, spin and knit their wool as well as raise goats on their little farm. They recently developed this DIY Spinning Wheel for people to build at home. Now even I can afford a spinning wheel. Do I have any volunteers out there that would like to make me one? If not, I may have to try my own hand at some carpentry! What an amazing contribution to the craft! Pay them a visit and tell them I sent you! :)

5 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I think so too! Just wondering if I'm crafty enough to make one! ;)

      Delete
    2. Thank you for all of the kind words. Of course when we were building it we didn't care what it looked like, but if I'm being honest I really think its got a nice "grass roots" appeal. As far as building it yourself we sure hope it's something anyone can do. I'd love to hear from you if you get it done. And feel free to ask any questions you have. Thanks again!

      Delete
  2. It is brilliant and I am going to give it a shot. Lovely and kind to share for those that have a passion but not money <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you! I had been wanting to build a wheel, but, it's pretty intimidating and I didn't quite understand the mechanism. Watching this video, I was able to understand instantly and I'm totally ready to build one for myself!!! Your machine is so simple and effective. Not to mention very practical space-wise. A million thanks!

    ReplyDelete